December 21, 2021
Anxiety and depression are the two major mental health disorders we experience today. We may not recognize them at first, but unconsciously our mental state is already crashing and tearing us apart. Simple negativity can initially make us unhappy that eventually will turn into anxiety and later on depression – a serious matter that needs to be solved or treated if clinically proven.
In my early 20’s, I’ve experienced depression and several anxiety attacks that keep on bombarding me when triggered until today. Being afraid and hopeless in times of depression and anxiety are my initial reactions to the situation before. However, as I go through the process, I realized that mental health disorders are inevitable, but there will always be solutions to overcome them and move forward.
Most importantly, I realized that life is not about counting the problems. Life is about how strong our foundation is when they are present. And that foundation is not only our spiritual aspect but also our mental health empowered by self-care.
With that, let me generously share five practical self-care tips to pull off a good and sound mental health:
1. Pause & Rest. Think of yourself first. When you feel like your environment is giving you so much pressure, it’s okay to pause and rest. Having a break is mentally healthy. For a moment, you will set aside the factors that trigger your anxiety. Take advantage of that break to recharge but make sure to bounce back stronger.
2. Create a new hobby. By creating a new hobby, you are cultivating yourself. Learning is a non-stop process. If you want to try something new, invest time and interest. Adding a new hobby to your system is physically and psychologically healthy. In my case, I started a small business and eventually indulged myself in taking care of plants.
3. Have a good conversation. One of the worst feelings is the feeling of being alone. Whenever we feel it, always remember that there are people who got our back. It’s very therapeutic to have a good and healthy conversation with our family, friends, loved ones, and even colleagues. You can freely share your stories because they will always have time for you. Treasure those who sincerely listen. Interpersonal interaction is one of the best healing techniques.
4. Treat yourself. Yes! Treating yourself once in a while is a healthy way to reduce stress and anxiety. Do what makes you happy. Travel, eat, watch a film, pamper yourself, etc. There are many ways to express your version of self-love. After all, always go where you feel the most alive.
5. Stay grounded in God. The most vital self-care tip is acknowledging the power of our Lord Jesus Christ amid uncertainties. Once we do, everything will go smoothly. He will always be above any mental health issues. Nothing can devour a person anchored in Jesus.
These practical tips have been functional to me as I take extra care of my mental health. I hope you find them helpful as well.
Treat yourself with these Self-Care Items!
Dage Pabon is a young professional and entrepreneur, passionate about sharing insights about mental health, practical life discussions, and other related topics based on life experience. He studied Bachelor of Arts in Communication, and now manages his own business while working as a professional freelancer. Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, and subscribe to his YouTube Channel!